Screen Free Week! (April 30 - May 6)
Bothell Family Cooperative Preschool is encouraging families to participate in Screen Free Week in May. Haven't heard about Screen Free Week? For one week, plan to unplug yourself and your children from screens — including computers, tablets and even phones! What will your family do instead? What will you discover when you're looking up and around you instead of at your screen?
Below are some links to help you take a closer look at your screen time and start creating healthy media habits and guidelines at home.
- Google Safety Center: If your family uses google products, learn how you can use some tools to set up a safe browsing experience for your children.
- Campaign for a Commercial Free Childhood: CCFC works to reduce marketing and consumerism towards children - especially in products they may use every day.
- Family Media Use Plan: Healthychildren.org has a guide to creating a Media Plan for your family. Have a family meeting and decide when it is and is not appropriate to use media. Remember to model healthy screen usage now in preparation for when your children are older.
- Moment App (iOS) or Space App (Android, iOS): Changing the media habits in your home starts with the adults. Check out these time tracking apps to see how much you are using your phone in a given day. You may be surprised by what you learn.
So you've turned off your TV, put your phone on silent and stowed the iPad. Now what?? Below is a round up of some of our favorite ideas and resources for screen-free and family friendly activities.
- Common Sense Media: Features guidelines and information on books, movies, music, and games. Check out their guide on essential books, broken down by age!
- 101 Screen Free Activities Printable: Inspiration for what to do with your newfound free time. Ideas for at home, outdoors, around town, in your community and with kids.
- 70 Ideas for Family Fun: Seventy ideas for fun things to do as a family with links and tutorials.
- Helping Babies Entertain Themselves: Ideas and tips for infant independent play. It's never to early to start encouraging self directed (and screen-free!) play.
- Family Play Plans for Every Season: Screen-free ideas, using everyday items, to inspire your whole family - whatever their ages - to play together.
- Printable Screen-Free Check List complete with our favorite play dough and bubble recipes.